Have you ever experienced the joy of second hand furniture? When it’s time to update your furniture, second hand options are many and varied. Sometimes these pieces give you the vintage feel you have been craving, but always they introduce a sense of timeless history, elegance and not to be taken lightly – cost savings!
Furniture is one of the key elements in your home, presenting your design style for all to see. This means that you want to make the right choices, but at the right prices, which is why second hand furniture has become so popular. Whether your style is vintage, chic, retro, traditional or ultra-modern, you will find pre-loved furniture that suits your style, and at a price that you can afford.
So if you are ready to explore the world of second hand furniture, here are seven tips to get you started.
- Organise your budget: Don’t go shopping with an open wallet, because there lies disaster! Always create a realistic budget for each room and then split this budget between all the pieces that you need. You can always splurge a little for anything that really grabs your attention, but these extras can be part of your discretionary budget!
- Know what you want: Don’t go out to ‘just look’, because this is another way you will spend your budget on things you don’t really need and don’t fit into your overall design. Make a list of items that you need and consult it every time you are seriously considering buying a piece of furniture.
- Consider reupholstering quality items: Furniture that has stood the test of time and is a quality piece, might be very affordable simply because it needs to be reupholstered. Other people might ignore these pieces, but if you consider the price of new upholstery along with the price of the purchase, it often works out in your favour.
- Give it a test run: Just because a chair looks fabulous and fits your style and colour scheme, doesn’t mean that it’s right for you! You need to sit on all chairs and lounges for at least 5 to 10 minutes, relaxing and making sure that they are comfortable. Otherwise it might look great, but no-one will sit on it for long!
- Take a tape measure with you: Every item on your list should have the dimensions that will fit the space, so take a tape measure with you and check each piece to ensure that it will fit. Also, make sure that the furniture will fit in your van or trailer, otherwise enquire about delivery options.
- Don’t ignore rusted metal furniture: Many metals can be refurbished quite easily and look fabulous in your home or garden. You can often find some real diamonds in the rough, simply because other people can’t get past the rust! Think of the potential of each piece, add in the refurbishment costs and you might have found the key piece in your design.
- Consider repurposing furniture: This is a very popular strategy at the moment, where you change the use of a piece of furniture. For example, you might find a fabulous old dresser that has oodles of history and was built to last forever, so consider turning it into a vanity for your renovated bathroom. This is a wonderful way to add character to your home and be on-trend as well!
For information on our next auctions, call us on 0488 118 190.